cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue with several 2950 switches

D0nprintup_2
Level 1
Level 1

I have several 2950 switches connected in a chain. On the first one I have a dhcp server and everything is in 1 vlan.

on port 24 I have an uplink to switch 2. On switch 2 i have an uplink to 3. All ports are confiugred the same.

My problem is any pc plugged into switch 2 will not get dhcp.

If i do a sh-mac-address-table add , I see what port its on. If i log into switch one and do a sh mac-address-table it will not show the pc.

Now if i take that same pc and plug it into switch 3 or 4 or 5. and do a show mac-address-table I see it on all the switches like i should. Also, that PC will get a dhcp address.

I cannot figure out why it isnt working on switch 2. But all other switches behind #2 work and the traffic is passing fine.

any ideas?

4 Replies 4

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Make sure portfast is on for all user ports on switch 2 . that would be the only reason they couldn't pull an address if they are all in the same vlan .

ya all switches 1 - 5 are config the same why for pc ports

switchport protected

then span portfast is set

Hi,

remove the switchport protected option and u will be fine.

Thanks

Mahmood

originally all the uplinks between each switch was on Gi01. It was configured with trunk (there are 2 vlans) and port fast.

Well after doing a sh cdp nei I noticed the #2 switch was connecting to switch1 on Fa0/20. That had switchport protect on it.

I removed it ont hat port now all pc's on switch2 are working.

My questions is, with it on, I know what it does but wouldnt it affect all other switches too. Since the uplink to sw1 was on it. It pasted all other switches but its own.

cool

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card