Password and encryption for a Wireless Router

Unanswered Question
Jul 1st, 2009

Dear NetPros

I recently visited a friend in Saskatoon and expressed an interest in setting up a wireless router at home (to allow both computers to access the net). No sooner said than my friend disappeared into his basement and returns with a wireless router he is no longer using. He's got all the parts but no Instruction book.

The unit is a CISCO LINKSYS Broadband Router, Wireless G 2.4 Ghz, Model WRT54Gv5. Set up was dead simple...plug in power and coax cable and we had a connection.

Unfortunately the connection is:

a) not secured (meaning any one can within broadcast range can use our internet connection) and

b) unecrypted.

I'm sure an instruction booklet would have told me how to install a password on the router and enable encription.

You guys are the NetPros (I am the NotPro). Can you direct me to an online instruction booklet for this device or (gently now) instruct me on how to install a password and enable encryption.

Thanks for your consideration of my request for help.

Glen Parrott

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
1parrottg1 Thu, 07/02/2009 - 06:29

Hi Rob

Thank you for the reference to the UofT manual. The router is now secured and encrypted and I'm about to set up the second computer (old PC clunker that needs an antennae and wireless software).

Could I trouble you for one further piece of advice. The UofT manual suggested I prescribe which computers were allowed to use the entering their MAC addresses. Seemed to be a brilliant bit of security...but I don't know what a MAC address is, never mind where to find it.

Can you tell me where I might find the MAC addresses for my 2 computers:

- an Acer laptop dual core running Vista

- a Gateway pentium II PC running XP

Thanks for your time and patience.

Glen Parrott

Leo Laohoo Wed, 07/01/2009 - 15:54

Hi Glen,

Next time your friend disappears into his basement, make sure he returns with some food and/or beer instead!

He he he ...

1parrottg1 Thu, 07/02/2009 - 06:09

Hi Leelaohoo

Canada and Australia may be at opposite poles of the earth...but some things are global constants.

Here, as there, food, beer and wine are in full flow long before any topic like wireless routers arises.

rob.huffman Thu, 07/02/2009 - 07:14

Hey Glen,

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!! Beer!!

Great work so far :)

In computer networking, a Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to most network adapters or network interface cards (NICs) by the manufacturer for identification.

From your PC

go to>

Start> Run> cmd> enter ipconfig /all

info returned will contain

Physical Address (mac address) something like

This is the machines Mac address

Hope this helps!

This Discussion