Replies

phones connected to my ATA don't have dial tone

vmtimaan2k4
Level 1
Level 1

Guys! pls help me out...

THIS IS MY SET UP:

PSTN ---- 2801 ROUTER ---- ATA 186 ---- PORT 1 analog phone PORT 2 fax machine

I have a cisco ATA 186 connect to my 2801 CME for two months it runs smoothly with no problem at all. My problem started a week ago when i observed that the phone connected to phone 1 port on my ATA don't have dial tone. What i did was, i power rebooted the ATA and the dial tone was back again. The next day same phone don't have dial tone again so what i did i changed the analog phone connected to phone 1 port with another analog phone with a different brand from the previous phone that was connected. Same thing happens every now and then, sometimes the phone connected to the phone 2 port don't have dial tone. I just power reboot it so that it dial tone again.

Suggestions are highly appreciated. Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Did you try to swap ATA with spare device?

What do you mean spare device? another ATA? I don't have an extra ATA..

cposti01
Level 1
Level 1

Yeah, those ATA's are pretty shaky, I would definitely not recommend using a fax machine on one. It's good for a pinch, but a VG224 is always good, or maybe something smaller if cisco makes it.

Why is that most of the time the ordinary analog phone connected to port 1 will not have dial tone? If there's a problem with the fax machine it should be the fax machine which is connected to port 2 of the ATA will be the one that will not have dial tone.