Replies

phones connected to my ATA don't have dial tone

vmtimaan2k4
Level 1
Level 1

Guys! pls help me out...

THIS IS MY SET UP:

PSTN ---- 2801 ROUTER ---- ATA 186 ---- PORT 1 analog phone PORT 2 fax machine

I have a cisco ATA 186 connect to my 2801 CME for two months it runs smoothly with no problem at all. My problem started a week ago when i observed that the phone connected to phone 1 port on my ATA don't have dial tone. What i did was, i power rebooted the ATA and the dial tone was back again. The next day same phone don't have dial tone again so what i did i changed the analog phone connected to phone 1 port with another analog phone with a different brand from the previous phone that was connected. Same thing happens every now and then, sometimes the phone connected to the phone 2 port don't have dial tone. I just power reboot it so that it dial tone again.

Suggestions are highly appreciated. Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Did you try to swap ATA with spare device?

What do you mean spare device? another ATA? I don't have an extra ATA..

cposti01
Level 1
Level 1

Yeah, those ATA's are pretty shaky, I would definitely not recommend using a fax machine on one. It's good for a pinch, but a VG224 is always good, or maybe something smaller if cisco makes it.

Why is that most of the time the ordinary analog phone connected to port 1 will not have dial tone? If there's a problem with the fax machine it should be the fax machine which is connected to port 2 of the ATA will be the one that will not have dial tone.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: