cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Access/Connectivity Issue

tkatsiaounis
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I have a problem with my network and i would like to ask for some info. I have 4 cisco catalyst switches 2960G each of them serves a rack of servers. They all end up (with trunk ports) to two 4507 R-E switches configured for GLBP .All vlans and network ping and access each other through this GLBP and work fine. However some times connectivity is lost. For example i have a 10.10.10.210/24 server trying to backup to a 10.20.10.50/24 server. The connection from time to time gets lost. If i repair the network connection in Windows it gets back up. However if i continuously ping the backup server it never drops but i cannot keep pinging forever. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Because of your mention of "However if i continuously ping the backup server it never drops . . .", and your description of dual L3 swithes, I'm wondering if you're bumping into a unicast flooding issue. You might review http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00801d0808.shtml.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Theofanis,

what linecards are on the 4507 R-E?

we faced performance issues with 4548 48GE linecards they have 6GE access to the backplane and each group of 8 ports 1-8, 9-16 and so on shares a single ASIC with 1GE rx/tx limit.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Yes we do have the 4548 48port GE cards. What did you do to solve the problem??

Basicly i have 4 linecards and each of the four etherchannel trunk ports (from 2960 to 4507) goes to one port on different linecards. For example SWA etherchannel 21 to 24 port 21 goes to 4507A 1/1 port 22 goes to 4507A 5/1 port 23 goes to 4507B 1/1 and port 24 goes to 4507B 5/1.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Because of your mention of "However if i continuously ping the backup server it never drops . . .", and your description of dual L3 swithes, I'm wondering if you're bumping into a unicast flooding issue. You might review http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00801d0808.shtml.

I have tried to increase the mac address aging time (from 300 to 14400 secs) as the document you proposed suggests but still no luck. The backup fails.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card