cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS - Can it send emails when an interface is down/up?

gary.whitaker
Level 1
Level 1

Is there anyway LMS can be configured to send an email when an interface goes up or down. I have a switch which sends a SNMP trap to the LMS server when i remove any interface cable.

6 Replies 6

luijimen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You can cecrtainly do that using the Device Fault Manager application (DFM).

You will need to make sure your device has SNMP access enabled and managed in DFM.

Then, you will need to setup under Notification Services a group to monitor your device and the OperationallyDown Event.

Finally, create an Email notification for when the OperationallyDown Event gets triggered.

More info can be found here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_device_fault_manager/2.0_IDU_2.0.6/user/guide/useNotif.html

Hope this helps.

Luis

Hi,

I am not able to see the alert or event in DFM for interface UP/DOWN status of Cisco 6509 switch.

Whenever I shutdown any UP interface or disconnect the link from the UP interface of switch; notification for UP/DOWN is not showing in DFM. Where as I have enable the event for OperationallyDown Event in DFM.

Regards;

Anil

Plea

Hi,

You may want to try configuring 'logging event link-status' under the interface that you need to monitor.

Also, if you shutdown the interface, the status will be AdministrativelyDown, not OperationallyDown. To test the alert, you've got to disconnect the link.

Thanks Dany.

I have try the command told by you and it is working. But the problem is that the loggs are not coming in the DFM alert and activity.I have subcribe the event of OperationallyDown in DFM.

I am able to see the link UP/DOWN alert in the Device center (coming in Notification of the Device) but not in DFM alert & Activity.

Thanks & regards

Anil

Is the device discovered properly by DFM?

Also, check if you have configured the switch to send snmp traps to your ciscoworks LMS IP address.

in DFM the interface must be in managed state to receive an event; You can check this in

DFM > Device Management > Device Details

select your Device and click 'View' ; In the left panel drill down to interface and control the managed state for the interface you test with;

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: