cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device comparable to PIX 506E?

m-jankowski
Level 1
Level 1

With the end of life of the 506e, I was wondering what device I should move to next to maintain operations here. I currently run site to site traffic with 11 different locations. Each run a PIX. I'm thinking about upgrading to a 2821 series router in the future to run the main hub, but I need a new solution for my remote sites.

Any ideas?

3 Replies 3

xcz504d1114
Level 4
Level 4

ASA 5505's work nicely, I substitute them for PIX's all the time. Just make sure you get the appropriate licensing, if I remember correctly the least expensive 5505 version only allows 8 concurrent connections.

Michael,

You may think of ASA firewall for doing the same task like Pix. Cisco 2821 router is a good idea if you plan to use this for Hub router. Cisco 2821 router can do site to site vpn as well. You need a particular IOS feature set. But router will do things about encrypt/decrypt in software. ASA is designed to do things like that in hardware. So I'd recommend you to use ASA to do firewall functions. When you want to use a Hub design. let's select a new router to do so.

Aside note: Cisco 2821 router can do firewall functions as well. But I still recommend you to use 2 devices for your design. I'm not a cisco sale by the way.(grin)

ASA is here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6032/ps6094/ps6120/product_data_sheet0900aecd802930c5.html

HTH,

Toshi

Toshi made a good point, the hub sites don't necessarily need a firewall to do the VPN. Depending on budget, the 1800 series works well also, I use 1811's for my remote users, if you need T1 interfaces you have to use the modular model, the 1841.

Craig

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card