Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS Dynamic Interface Template

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to get the most out of my WCS 6.0.132.0 connected to different kind of WLC (WiSMs, 4402s, 2106s).

My concern is related to better understand the right approach to use the Dynamic Interface Template:

1. what is the advantage in being forced to specificy a netmask? Am I supposed to have the same netmask for the same "kind" of network on all the controller on which I's like to apply the template? Does it make sense?

2. same question on the DHCP?

How are you guys using this template in your environment?

Thanks a lot for any comments.

Luca

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Any of the interface on the WLC can be on different size subnets. The reason the template has this information is because the wlc has this type of information you would need to enter also. You can have multiple dhcp servers and again, that is why it is there. Even if you specify a dhcp on the interface, you can override that on the WLAN SSID advanced tab.

So if you have a mixed environment and the WLC are all on the same code, then you can create a template for each device. I prefer to configure the interfaes on the wlc than using the WCS, but that is just me. Interfaces will be unique per device so I don't see why you would use a template. Much faster to configure it from the gui or cli.

I use templates only when I have to make big changes, like setting the primary, seconday or tertiary wlc, snmp, things like that.

Hope this helps.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Any of the interface on the WLC can be on different size subnets. The reason the template has this information is because the wlc has this type of information you would need to enter also. You can have multiple dhcp servers and again, that is why it is there. Even if you specify a dhcp on the interface, you can override that on the WLAN SSID advanced tab.

So if you have a mixed environment and the WLC are all on the same code, then you can create a template for each device. I prefer to configure the interfaes on the wlc than using the WCS, but that is just me. Interfaces will be unique per device so I don't see why you would use a template. Much faster to configure it from the gui or cli.

I use templates only when I have to make big changes, like setting the primary, seconday or tertiary wlc, snmp, things like that.

Hope this helps.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott.

You vision make sense.

I had the opportunity to talk about this with Cisco TAC engineer and the conclusion is that this configuration template fits pefectly into huge deployment (not my case) where you have a lot of standardized setups.

Thanks again.

Luca

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card