cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ORA-12571: TNS:packet writer failure (FWSM)

tech_trac
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are currently facing user login error mentioned in the Oracle client log below.

Topology: WebService (FWSM-DMZ)-> Oracle Database (FWSM-INSIDE)

The webservice fails to make full SQLNet connection to the database. But on subsequent attempt it goes through. I can recreate the error by doing 'clear local-host (on all source/destination IPs)' and doing user login again via web portal. SQLNet inspection was earlier disabled on FWSM. Later I enabled SQLNet inspection but still the same error. Most of the discussions related to ORA-12571 points to enabling fix-up/inspection of Oracle 1521 port.

I ran a capture on FWSM while below mentioned error occured, but I couldn't notice any non-SQLNet (other than 1521) communication initiated to the database. The error seems to be network related though.

Have you experienced this error ? What would you suggest ?

Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleException ORA-12571: TNS:packet writer failure at Datel.Eform.DataAccess.Portal.UserMgt.ValidateUserDA.ValidateUserLogin

1 Reply 1

tech_trac
Level 1
Level 1

After further checking, I can see that presence/absence of sqlnet inspection has no effect on this.

However, something to do with connection table state.

If I clear local-host 'database server' and try login via web portal, the ORA-12571 exception takes place and on 'sh conn' a new connection is seen with status 'UBOI'. When I try login again, the connection goes through. So, due to the presence of earlier connection entry with UBOI, all subsequent logins work successfully. This scenario is consistent.

Any hints?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: