Views
Helpful
Replies

Bridging on a router

stretchlad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I have a 2800 router connected to a switch which is conifgured as a trunk port to carry 2 vlans. We want one of the vlans to be passed onto another switch through the router as we are only allowed a single connection on the first switch. The router has a 4 port etherswitch module which we have connected to the second switch. Vlan 115 is an internet Vlan that will terminate on a firewall.

Have I got the following correctly configured as I am not sure why I need "bridge irb" when effectively we only want to bridge but it doesn't seem to work with out it:

Bridge irb

Bridge 15 protocol ieee

Int g0/1

No ip address

No shutdown

Int g0/1.115

Encapsulation dot1q 115

Bridge-group 115

Int g0/1.2033

Encapsulation dot1q 2033

Ip address 10.250.254.254 255.255.255.252

Int g0/1.100

Encapsulation dot1q 100 native

No ip address

Vlan 115

No ip address

Bridge-group 115

Int fa0/0/0

Switchport access vlan 115

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In my opinion - it's not the best way of doing things, but as long as it works!

;o)

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Integrated Routing and Bridging, allows you to route a given protocol between routed interfaces and bridge groups within a single switch router

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk815/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094663.shtml

HTH>

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have an EtherSwitch module which supports internal Vlan configuration and there is no need for subinterfaces.

The following URL will provide information on how to configure Vlans on the router:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/lanswitch/configuration/guide/lsw_hwic_ethsw_ic_ps6350_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

Once the Vlans are configured, you can configure a switchport as trunk facing the switch carrying the multiple Vlans and as access facing the switch with Vlan 115.

If you want to have a Layer3 representation of any of the L2 Vlans, you can create a SVI.

Your configuration would look like this:

!Configure L2 Vlans

vlan database

vlan 115

vlan 2033

vlan 100

exit

!

!Configure Switchports

default interface g0/1

default interface f0/0/0

!

interface f0/0/0

switchport access vlan 115

interface f0/0/1

switchport encapsulation trunk dot1q

switchport mode trunk

!

!

no bridge irb

!

!

interface Vlan 2033

ip address 10.250.254.254 255.255.255.252

HTH,

__

Edison.

Hi Ed

Thanks for the response, however, I am using the onboard gig port to trunk as the etherswitch ports have limited QoS support and we need to do Traffic shaping.

So I am pretty sure I need to bridge.

You do not need to bridge to perform QoS.

I need to bridge becuase I have 2 vlans and one of those vlans I want to connect to a different device whilst the other will be routed.

If you have a switch that is vlan capable - then you do not need to place an interface of the router into a bridged port. You just connect the other device directly to the switch in the relevant vlan. There is no need for the router to be involved for un-routed traffic.

We only have a single connection available on the switch.

Then for this fudge - you need irb.

Thanks

Was my config ok then?

Things like having to create an SVI with no ip address etc?

In my opinion - it's not the best way of doing things, but as long as it works!

;o)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card