Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch configuration change & VTP

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

I intend to change some configuration of oneof Coreswitch (6500) which is the standby member from HSRPgroup.

My concern is, if i change it in running powered mode, will this be affected by vtp client overwrite & other vtp issues.

Should i remove the uplink connections, configure the switch & then power it up?

Even then , would it be overwritten by other client ( edge switch ) configuration somehow during power on.

Or should i power on back after changing the mode to transparent & later put it back to client & server.

Please help to clear this confusion

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sunny,

if you change the VTP domain name and/or use VTP mode transparent the switch retains the current vlan database and beco mes indipendent from the others.

If you then reverts back to the original VTP domain name and a vtp mode client or server the vlan database will be updated by the others.

However, I didn't understand what is the change you would like to do: it is a good idea to explain what exactly you want to do: HSRP is a L3 feature and any change to it is not related to VTP that is a signalling protocol at OSI L2.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card