Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5020 like an FC switch

testspa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm going to usa a couple of Nexus 5020 in a data-center but I've a doubt. Each Nexus has 16 FC ports. Omitting FCoE, can I use these FC ports like in a conventional FC switch? The customer would like to migrate from FC to FCoE but he has to use some conventionals FC interfaces. Have I to use a FC switch too?

Thanks in advance,

Marco

3 Replies 3

johgill
Level 1
Level 1

Marco,

Yes, you can use pure FC with the modules including FC ports. The 5k has much less complex support for FC than an MDS switch, but is advancing with each release.

Usually you will find an MDS switch somewhere else in the network where a 5k is connecting.

Hi John,

I'm going to install only the Nexus 5020 without any FC switch. The customers should connect some servers to the FC storage and we'd like to avoid to buy a couple of FC switch because the customer will migrate to FCoE.

Can you confirm that we can configure the Nexus to work as a FC switch?

Thanks again,

Marco

Storage is very picky, it depends on the storage.

Right now, here's what is supported:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/interoperability/matrix/Matrix6.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: