Views
Helpful
Replies

rp-address query

dan_track
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I need to set up an rp-address on my network. My question is should I set this ip address up as loopbak address or should I create a new vlan?

I have 3750E switches.

Thanks

Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Dan,

Sound like you are looking for some kind of redundancy for RP. If this is the case, you should look at Anycast RP.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/solutions_docs/ip_multicast/White_papers/anycast.html

HTH,

jerry

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dan,

The answer is it depend, but most likely RP will be one of the loopback address (if you have more than one) since it will not go down.

HTH,

jerry

Thanks Jerry,

Can I put hsrp on the loopback or is that not recommended?

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan,

What is the reason you want to use HSRP for loopback?

jerry

I've got three stacks of 3750 switches. If one of those stacks dies and the rp-address is only configured on that stack I will lose my rp then. That's my thought on the matter, is there a better way to do it?

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan,

Sound like you are looking for some kind of redundancy for RP. If this is the case, you should look at Anycast RP.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/solutions_docs/ip_multicast/White_papers/anycast.html

HTH,

jerry

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for that. The doc looks quite old, is this really implemented popularly in the outside world?

I'm just nervous at doing something quite different. I'm relatively new at networking.

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan,

Anycast RP is implemented by some large enterprises. At least the Fortune 50 company I've worked for before is using it right now.

Regards,

jerry

Fantastic.

I'll give you the points. Could you please tell me if you use PIM or MSDP for anycast rp? I read this in the link that you sent me.

Thanks

Dan

Also any chance you can help me with another question I've posted:

"RP address with access-list help"

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan,

MSDP will be used to peer between the two RP router (let's say R1 and R2) with the same RP address.

Routers has lower metric to R1 than R2 will use R1 as its RP, and vise versa for routers has lower metric to R2.

PIM still be used for multicast traffic.

HTH,

jerry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: