Views
Helpful
Replies

RMON for IP SLA on Cisco 2691

punit.dixit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am running IP SLA for udp-jitter operation (jitter/latency/RTT measure) on cisco 2691 router. I want RMON to be configured so that traps can be sent to NMS when crossing threshold. When i am creating RMON alarm for any "rttMonJitter*" operation , it gives me an error that it is a unknown object.

can someone suggest what shud be done in this scenario?

rgds

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Why use RMON? Why not use an IP SLA trigger to send a trap instead? You can configure a reaction type to occur when the average jitter crosses the threshold defined in your collector. The action can then be to send an rttMonNotification trap from the CISCO-RTTMON-MIB.

thanks for the response...

yes, i can certainly use reaction-trigger of IPSLA, but the problem is that i am having more than 500 IP SLA configured, so if i use reaction-trigger then it wud be for per SLA config..

if i use RMON, then it wud be general for all IP SLAs.

rgds

No, you'll still need to specify an index for the RMON alarm; so you'll need an RMON alarm for each collector. It would be easier to create the IP SLA reactions.

no, i don't require to give each index of IP SLA, that is common for all indexes..

rgds

There is no such object in the CISCO-RTTMON-MIB that will give you a combined or average jitter across all configured collectors. You will need to watch the jitter values for each collector individually.

hi,

just see this config:

rmon event 100 log trap public owner NNM

rmon alarm 10 rttMonLatestJitterOperRTTMax 40 absolute rising-threshold 5 100 falling-threshold 1 owner NNM

this will send the trap of each index of IP SLA to NMS

rgds