cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast:Is CGMP going to help me?

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Currently 4507 L3 distribution switches are configured for igmp and respective vlan interfaces configured for igmp v3 as shown below.

Then access-layer switches are connected to L3 4507 distribution. Clients (multicast receivers) are then connected to access-layer 3750 24P switches.

Question:

Currently I have no multicast configured on switches. Do you see any direct benefit if I explore CGMP on the access-layer switches?

(...)

ip muticast-routing distributed

ip multicast multipath

ip multicast rpf interval 1

ip multicast rpf backoff 100 100

ip igmp ssm-map enable

ip igmp ssm-map static list 9.3.3.5

(...)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Marlon,

CGMP is legacy your 3750 access switches support IGMP snooping.

The point of attention is that IGMP snooping may be not able to support IGMPv3.

According to the following document IGMP snooping supports IGMPv3 on C3750

For example, if IGMP snooping is enabled on an IGMPv2 switch and the switch receives an IGMPv3 report from a host, the switch can forward the IGMPv3 report to the multicast router.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_46_se/configuration/guide/swigmp.html#wp1118473

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Marlon,

CGMP is legacy your 3750 access switches support IGMP snooping.

The point of attention is that IGMP snooping may be not able to support IGMPv3.

According to the following document IGMP snooping supports IGMPv3 on C3750

For example, if IGMP snooping is enabled on an IGMPv2 switch and the switch receives an IGMPv3 report from a host, the switch can forward the IGMPv3 report to the multicast router.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_46_se/configuration/guide/swigmp.html#wp1118473

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: