Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Serial Number

tiger_401
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

Please tell me how i can know the serial number of my cisco router by CLI...i used show tech command but its running so fast i m not able to read the serial number....

Can anybody plz tell me a short command to get the serial number of my router...

Thanks,

Malik.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Malik,

use

sh ver | inc Processor board

or sh ver

ot sh inventory in more modern devices

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Malik,

use

sh ver | inc Processor board

or sh ver

ot sh inventory in more modern devices

Hope to help

Giuseppe

thanks boss...thanks a lottt :)

There are some devices that do have the chassis serial number in the output of show version. But many devices do not have the chassis serial number in the output of show version. The show inventory command is a good command and on some devices (especially the ISR routers) it does give the chassis serial number. But many other devices do not give the chassis serial number in the output of show inventory. And the frustrating thing is that many of these other devices will return a value in show inventory - but it is not the correct chassis serial number.

In my experience the reliable way to get the chassis serial number is to physically examine the chassis and find the tag with the serial number. I would suggest that anyone trying to get the serial number be cautious about the value found in show version and in show inventory until you verify that the command does produce the correct value on that particular platform.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

A long time ago I learn't this lesson the hard way.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree Rick. Unfortunately, due to cost cutting measures by the manufacturer, the S/N requires a large magnifying glass or a good barcode scanner.

"Hey Noobie! C'mon over here and read this dang thing. And make sure you can differentiate the letter "O" and the number "0"".

He he he ...

With the increasing emphasis on knowing the chassis serial number (most especially the requirement to have the chassis serial number to open a case with TAC) it is really unfortunate that there is not a reliable method of finding the chassis serial number other than physical inspection. It is especially difficult for those of us who have significant numbers of devices deployed in remote locations :(

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hey Rick,

How was Cisco Networks? I heard the after-party was a blast with some 80's band doing their thing ... Heard that some Playboy Bunnies were there too? To bad Victor Lama wasn't there. He he he ...

Cisco Networkers/Cisco Live was an excellent conference :)

The party was quite something with multiple bands providing quite an experience. I missed any Playboy Bunnies that might have been there - and I missed Victor. But I am very glad that I got to talk to the number of NetPro participants who did come by our booth.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

astapell
Level 1
Level 1

Depending on the chassis model SN doesn't appear with 'show ver | i Proc' or 'sh diag'.In this case you should try 'show gsr chassis-info' or 'show diag chassis-info'

BRs,

Arnaud

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card