CP-524SG phones powered off

Unanswered Question
Jul 7th, 2009
User Badges:

We have a UC520 with 2x SPA525G and 2x CP-524SG phones.

System has been up and running for a couple of weeks, and for some reason this morning I came in to find the CP-524SG's powered off! I have checked cabling back to UC520 and thats fine.

I recall configuring LCD power off on the handsets, but that shouldn't switch the handset off if its idle should it?

This causes a problem as the users come in, and then can't get any lan connectivity from there PC's as the phones are off! to work around we have to unconnect the lan connection from the phone and plug directly into PC.

The two SPA525G users are fine, those handsets are unaffected and remained on.

We only have 4 PoE devices (aforementioned) plugged into the UC520! so lack of power from the switch shouldn't be an issue.  Later this afternoon, one of the unused phones powered on! all on its own accord! the other phone is still off as its not plugged in.

All ports (8 fast ethernet) on the uc520 are configured for auto with regards to supplying PoE.  We also have an additional 8 port PoE cisco switch connected to the UC520, which has network printers plugged in.  Again no PoE devices plugged in.  This is connected to the UC520 via the gigabit port.

Any ideas?

Faulty cabling? switch ports? or handsets?

Might it be an idea to move the 2 CP-524SG's to the other 8 port Cisco PoE switch?

Thanks in advance

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Steven DiStefano Wed, 07/08/2009 - 06:04
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

Man that is strange.   I remember my first CP52x when I noticed it goes dark (power save; spotted owl) and made me think it was off until I pressed some buttons on the phone and saw it was on, but that is clearly not what you are seeing, right?

If you happened to catch on of these rascals in the act, can you open CCA Monitor on them?  See if they are showing registered or not...

Do you have any logs (usually just sitting with 'terminal monitor' enabled on a session to the UC520 will show you device connects and disconnects)?

Voice_Ext_Status.GIF

Steven Smith Wed, 07/08/2009 - 07:12
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

You could try changing the ports that the devices are plugged into.  If that doesn't fix it, try plugging the phones into the switch to see if it does.

What version of phone firmware are you running?

gsgilbeson Thu, 07/09/2009 - 03:08
User Badges:

I'm not at site today, but I believe the phone firmware is 8.1.17. or it will the firmware that ships with CME 7.02/3.

I don't seem to able to find firmware downloads for that particular handset on the Cisco site? it only seems to be bundled with the CME software.

Marcos Hernandez Thu, 07/09/2009 - 10:28
User Badges:

What is the smartport role and POE settings for these switchports in CCA? The current firmware load should work fine.

We do not post individual files for this phone type. If need be, I will get yo a copy of the beta software, but let's rule out configuration and hardware first.

Thanks,

Marcos

gsgilbeson Mon, 07/13/2009 - 07:17
User Badges:

On the 8 ports that are on the uc520, the smartport status was set it IP Phone + Desktop for all ports.

The handsets firmware is 8.1.7

I have moved the two phones to a connected cisco 520 PoE switch (WSCE520-8), the smartports are set up as IP Phone and Desktop.

So we will see how long they stay on for? I have looked and the PoE utilisation on the (WSCE520-8) and its currently 10% with the two CP-524S phones plugged in.

Might we still need the beta software?

Marcos Hernandez Mon, 07/13/2009 - 13:06
User Badges:

If the firmware is 8.1.7, then you need to upgrade your phones to the latest firmware included in Software Pack 7.0.3, 8.1.16b.

Thanks,

Marcos

gsgilbeson Tue, 07/14/2009 - 08:40
User Badges:

Marcos, isn't Software Pack 7.0.3, 8.1.16b an early release? or am getting confused?

Steven Smith Tue, 07/14/2009 - 08:44
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

7.0.3 is not an early release or early adopter.  It is the GA release right now.  7.1.1 is the current early adopter release.

gsgilbeson Tue, 07/14/2009 - 08:46
User Badges:

I've just had a look on the flash of the uc500, and i can see "phones/521_525/cp524g-8-1-16b.bin!

So how is it the phones aren't running that software?

Marcos Hernandez Thu, 07/16/2009 - 06:10
User Badges:

Don't know. They should have upgraded. Can you please turn on the following debug "debug tftp events" and reboot one of the IP phones?

Thanks,

Marcos