Views
Helpful
Replies

Port ShutDown when using CE500 Switch.

juunda
Level 1
Level 1

Greeting,

I have a client who plugs his B10 Blocker into any port of a CE500 Switch and after 15-20 Minutes the port on the CE500 Switch shuts down, I told customer that is sounds like some sort of port security issue, however I am unsure and wonder if it has anything at all to do with the Blocker itself.

Any suggestions or ideas highly apreciated!!

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

alissitz
Level 4
Level 4

Hey Juan,

Would be helpful if you had a config, you can use CNA to back up the configs and post it.  Any additional description would be helpful.

In the mean time, check the duplex and speed settings for both sides of the connection.  

Take care,

Andrew

Hey Juan,

Just found this ...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalystexpress500/release_12.2_25_fy/user/guide/trouble.html

Might be useful to run a diag test.  Also, would be best if the customer chooses a port and sticks with it.  Best to keep these things static ... also helps in tshooting ..

Take it easy,

Andrew

Albert Wilhelm
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Juan,

From what you are descibing, an area to consider troubleshooting is the Smart Port settings on the CE500 switch. The default is Phone+Desktop for each of the ports on the switch.

A few things to test/try:

1. Does the issue follow the B10 Blocker when the customer moves the cable from one port to another? I am assuming yes from your desciption. If so, see step #2 below to troubleshoot.

2. Consider changing the Smartport setting to Other or one of the smart port setting as described in the manual. Here is the link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalystexpress500/release_12.2_25_fy/user/guide/custom.html#wp166963

You may need to experiment with the settings and see which one will suite the Blocker.

3. Check the logs for the port number in question. May give you error or status messages as to why the port was shutdown.

Hope this helps.

Bert

juunda
Level 1
Level 1

I will check with my client immediatly to see if we can get that config and logs.  Thank you so much you guys are the best.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: