Views
Helpful
Replies

Server aggregation design - suggestions pls

prakadeesh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I am working on a design to provide 10G server aggregation link for our network. Basic idea is to connect the servers to this 10G server aggregation switch which is turn connectes to the main 6509 cores. The idea to introduce this server aggregation layer was to conserve intercabinet cabling. Now I came across some model

*Nexus 5020/5010

*Cisco 4900M

I am looking for somewhere around 10 ports atleast per switch that can support 10G hence the above choices.

Now my queries are

*I have a STP domain running on PVST, does Nexus support that? If not can Rapid-PVST+ and PVST coexist?

*I dont want the devices to become single point of failure,so is there any known and dependable HA option incase I can put two device per cabinet( like VSS)

Please help with my queries.

Thanking u,

Prakadeesh

6 Replies 6

prakadeesh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

Pls any suggestion/help with my query please.

Thanks,

Any suggestions please :(

bhedlund
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

* Yes, Rapid-PVST on Nexus 5000 is backwards compatible to PVST.

* Nexus 5000 will soon be supporting vPC (Virtal Port Channels) which is a capability much like VSS.

Keep in mind Nexus 5000 is a Layer 2 only switch.

Cheers,

Brad

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

BTW, if you only need about ten 10G ports, you might also consider the 3560E-12D.

For something like VSS, and excluding 6500s, I recall only the stackable 3750-E would provide it, but since the series doesn't provide high density 10G in one box, it would require a stack of 5 units to provide the ten 10G ports. (Even if you do, for such bandwidths, the stack bandwidth could be a bottleneck.)

To avoid single point of device failure, you could cross link two switches per cabinet. Not as nice as VSS or stacks, but one of the primary reasons for STP.

Joseph,

The way I am understanding this (we may need to do something like this in the future), is that he has a 10G connection from his aggregate server device and he is uplinking the 10G connection to the 6509s.

If he is using one of the 10G ports on the switch for his connection, how is the link from the 3750 to the 6509 made?

Is there an etherchannel of x10 1G ports from the 3750 to the 6509?

You can connect a 3750 stack to a 6500 10 gig port if there's a 3750 unit with a 10 gig port. (Found with 3750-Es or discontinued 3750 that had the single 10 gig port.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: