cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP1250 Stops Broadcasting

tkuzma1022
Level 1
Level 1

I have an LAP1250 that was running fine for about a year. then about three weeks ago users reported no or low signal strength. After looking at netstumbler, I discovered that the AP was not broadcasting and the users were attaching to an AP way down the office. I reset the AP and then after about a week it stopped broadcasting again and when looking at netstumbler the MAC is listed as not detected. Looking at the AP through the WLC it shows enabled UP but no one can associate to it. Looking at the client list on WLC there are a couple of clients listed as associated but, the linktest fails so, i assume that they are really not associated.

I am never really sure when is stops so, i cannot find anything in the logs and the device is not under warranty,

Any suggestions on troubleshooting this issue would be appreciated.

11 Replies 11

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

There were a few bugs on this. When the AP is in this condition check the output of "show controller" and see if probes and beacons are disabled for the radio. Most of these bugs have been resolved in the latest versions of code posted to Cisco.com.

OK, thanks for the tip however, I don't see a 'show controller' on the command line of the WLC 4402. When I do a monitor/ap/radio's from the WLC webpage, the AP's radio's are listed as UP

What codes are the bugs in? I am running WLC 4.2.130.0 (AP IOS 12.4(10b)JA4)

You need to run the 'show controller' on the AP itself. You can either console into the AP or use the remote AP debugs from the controller's CLI.

You can also do the following:

controller>config ap ssh enable

controller> config ap mgmtuser add username password secret all|

ssh @

show controllers

Thanks for the ssh tip. I am on the AP and waiting to see what the beacon and probe status' are when it stops.

If this is the case the only way to reset the AP is a restart correct?

Then my next step will be to update the WLC code

Thank-you ALL for your help.

If it is on a switch with enhanced PoE, you can bounce the switchport or bounce the AP from WCS or the WLC

Hello,

Do you still have this problem ? or did you found a solution....

Any idea how you can find out which AP's have this problem ?

I have about 300 ap's and some of them stop broadcasting, like you have (had)... but I need to wait for users complaining before I can take action.

Karl

Nothing other then the relys posted. I will say that I have not seen this issue since that time. I have done several 'code' updates since then and none if my AP1250's have had a problem since. I am currenly running 6.0.196.0

Thx for your reply... unfortunately I can't upgrade to a version 6... I'm waiting for the new releases because I have another bug which is not, and will not be solved in the current versions....

Cisco is recommending everyone to stay away from 5.X and 6.X and upgrade instead to 7.X.

Hi,

Please mark the Question as Answered if the provided information is correct and issue is fixed.

thanks,
Vinay

Thanks & Regards
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card