cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding Metro E to connect remote site site

wilson_1234_2
Level 3
Level 3

We currently have a routed connection to a site in a city accross the state.

The DR site is configured with a totally seperate VLAN config.

For example everything in the Main site is 10.100.x.x\24,

10.100.1.x\24 servers

10.100.2.x\24 printers

10.100.3.x\24 workstations

Remote site is 10.200.x.x\24

10.200.1.x\24 servers

10.200.2.x\24 printers

10.200.3.x\24 workstations

When we move from routed to Metro E to connect this site, is a trunk to the other site the way to go to connect the other site VLANs to the main site VLANS?

We have 5-060 VLANs in the main site and 20-30 VLANS in the remote site.

45 Replies 45

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The provider will give you a Layer2 handoff with a customer Vlan.

On the ISP facing interface, you can configure a trunk with the customer Vlan being the native Vlan.

For instance; customer Vlan 100

interface fx/x

switchport trun en do

switchport trun na vl 100

switchport mode trunk

switchport trun all vl 100,101

The 101 Vlan can be the Vlan where you create the p-t-p link for this MetroE so in your switches create Vlan 101 on L2 and L3 and assign the L3 Address as /30 subnet.

For instance:

Main Site

interface vlan 101

ip add 10.101.1.1 255.255.255.252

Remote Site

interface vlan 101

ip add 10.101.1.2 255.255.255.252

Then you can configure your routing protocol of choice and advertise the subnets from each location.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks Edison,

At both ends, we are using OSPF locally to route the VLANs to all devices.

Also we are bridging several VLANs across the routed links.

I think I see where you are going with connecting the Layer 3 links across the span, but will the provider be handing off a trunk to me?

Also, what about the layer 2 VLANs?

We have an application that requires the failover server to be in the same subnet as the Primary.

This would be easy with just a layer 2 connection to the remote end.

The provider will have a dot1q-tunnel on their access port with a customer vlan as the native vlan.

You can configure 802.1q on your switches to carry multiple Vlans.

If you want to extend some L2 information over the MetroE, just allow those Vlans on the trunk. Make sure to perform manual pruning with the command I entered before 'switchport trunk all vl x,x,x'.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Oh, I see Edison, that cleared it up.

Basically I am routing over the layer 2 network and trunking the VLANs needed in both sites.

Am I loosing any benefit of the Metro E spanning the two sites by doing it this way?

I guess the only way to trunk everything is to change the addressing scheme in one of the sites correct?

Think of MetroE as interconnecting 2 switches together in your LAN.

The only caveat is the customer Vlan that must be untagged towards the carrier. Everything else is fair game, including CDP :) Nice to see your remote switches as directly connected CDP neighbors.

___

Edison.

Edison,

In my scenario, since I am already using OSPF in each respective site, and they are configured in the same area, once the trunk is configured, OSPF should form a neighbor adjacentcy in both sites across VLAN 101 is this correct?

And VLAN 101 is the path carrying all routed traffic across the link?

That's correct.

Hi Edison,

Great post here. My company is moving to ME for several of our remote sites. Could you please describe the setup if you are using routers (not switches) at your remote sites for the CE router where the provider will handoff? We will be doing a ME "hub and spoke" type of setup.

Thanks,

Brandon

ISP facing interface at the CE:

interface gx/x

no ip address

interface gx/x.x

encapsulation dot1q [Vlan_Given_By_ISP] native

interface gx/x.x

encapsulation dot1q [Your_Vlan]

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

interface gx/x.x

encapsulation dot1q [Your_Vlan]

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

etc.

__

Edison.

Hi Edison,

Thanks for this response. I am assuming this will be the HUB end. Can you give an example of what the remote site router config may look like? I think I know, but would like your input. Also will the [Your_Vlan] part be the vlan I come up with? For example if I say vlan 10 for site 1 then I will assign that to my subinterface on the HUB router and on the remote router use the same dot1q on the interface facing the provider?

Thanks,

Brandon

The Hub will have all the subinterfaces and IP subnets for the remotes in addition to the native subinterface for the ISP. The Remotes will have the native subinterface for the ISP in addition to the subinterface for the Hub with its corresponding subnet.

When I refer to the native subinterface for the ISP, it means you aren't tagging the Vlan on that subinterface while using the 'native' keyword on the encapsulation dot1q command.

___

Edison.

That makes sense! Man you have been more that helpful Edison. I will rate your reply.

Thanks,

Brandon

Edison,

If you are doing "router-on-a-stick" at the remotes will you just have to just make sure your "routed vlan" for the point-to-point" link is different and unique, not used in the LAN portion of your remote site? I hope I'm making sense.

Thanks,

Brandon

What I meant by that last post is you need to make sure the native the ISP gives you and your native at the remote is a different vlan number. Right?

-Brandon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: