cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Route over Static Route

mikedelafield
Level 1
Level 1

I have a VPN set up between sites, however traffic is following a static route on the firewall rather than the established VPN path?

I can I change priority/force the traffic to cross the VPN instead of the static route?

I cannot delete the static route as it is needed for something else.

3 Replies 3

acomiskey
Level 10
Level 10

I don't believe changing the administrative distance on the static route will matter as the ASA will always route before it checks the crypto acl's.

Do the networks in your static route match the networks in your crypto acl? Can you be more specific with one or the other?

Mike,

As Adam mentioned, more detail on your setup would be helpful.

To change the priority of the routes, you would need to make the route that the VPN traffic should be taking more specific than the static route they are currently taking. For example, if the traffic is currently following a 10.0.0.0/8 route, you might configure a 10.0.1.0/24 route on the interface that you want the VPN traffic to take.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

Hi thanks for your replies.

The VPN crypto map matches 10.102.1.0 /24 going to 10.101.1.0 /24.

However there is also a general static route in place for 10.101.0.0 / 16 which is to an alternate VPN server.

I would have thought the VPN established path would take precedence over any static route?

But from using packet tracer I can see the traffic is not even touching or acknowledging the VPN path.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card