cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Two 3750s with HSRP and multiple internet connections

ngthen
Level 1
Level 1

I am needing to configure two 3750s with HSRP so that I can get a virtual IP address. 3750 #1 will have one of my internet connections and 3750 #2 will have the other. Can I use IP SLA so that if Internet connection on 3750 #1 goes down that the default route is changed to 3750 #2? I have two redundant switches behind the 3750s which each will have two connections (one to each 3750). I think that this is possible, but not 100% sure how to go about it. In theory I think that I would hook them up similar to the following...

3750 #1

Port 1 goes to internet connection #1

Port 2 goes to redundant switch A

Port 3 goes to redundant switch B

3750 #2

Port 1 goes to internet connection #2

Port 2 goes to redundant switch B

Port 3 goes to redundant switch A

Port 1 on both 3750s will hook directly to separate firewalls and have a private address. I am assuming that another port is needed on the switch for HSRP.

Thanks for any assistance that you can provide!

4 Replies 4

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, you can use IP SLA and track with ICMP a route towards the internet. If the route goes down, your HSRP should decrement on the active router and the secondary will take over.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Sorry...I logged in with my work account Ya...that is pointing me in the right direction. Would you know of any sample configs that can point me in the right direction?

Here is an idea on how to track with HSRP

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094e8c.shtml

Just replace the interface as the trigger with an IP SLA track.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just curious, is there a reason you don't wish to stack the two 3750s?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card