cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade Question

pgirish_2000
Level 1
Level 1

We are looking at upgrading our 9513s from v3.2.2c to 4.1.3a. The upgrade procedures in the docs look quite straightforward. Has anyone experienced any issues/glitches during the upgrade ?

Thanks,

Girish

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, I believe it is. The way i approached it was:

1.Did the 3.3x upgrade

2.did the 4.1x upgrade

3.powered off the switch and added the new fabric-2 modules, and any 8gb modules (this can be skipped if you are not needing 8gb module support)

4.powered on the switch (this can be skipped if you are not needing 8gb module support)

5.upgraded fabric manager to 3.3x, never launched it.

6.upgraded fabric manager to 4.1x, logged in to verify everything worked.

this worked flawlessly for each 9513 i upgraded.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Nikhil Sharma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Girish,

If you are looking for a non-disruptive upgrade path, I would suggest you upgrade to 3.3.x first. This is also discussed in the release notes which can be found here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/sw/4_1/release/notes/17675_05.html

Also it depends on what features you are using on the MDS. The release notes discuss all of these scenarios.

- Nikhil

Girish,

Nikhil is correct. you need to do a 2 step upgrade. first to 3.3(x) and then to 4.1(x). Also if this is take advantage of 8gb modules then you will need to make sure you have upgraded your fabric modules to fabric-2 modules (x-bars. the final step to take advantage of the 8gb modules is to do a reload (bounce) the switch after the 4.1(x) upgrade (which is disruptive).

Thanks Nikhil and Suntzzu. Is the two-step process also true for the fabric manager upgrade from 3.2.2c to 4.1.3a?

Girish

Yes, I believe it is. The way i approached it was:

1.Did the 3.3x upgrade

2.did the 4.1x upgrade

3.powered off the switch and added the new fabric-2 modules, and any 8gb modules (this can be skipped if you are not needing 8gb module support)

4.powered on the switch (this can be skipped if you are not needing 8gb module support)

5.upgraded fabric manager to 3.3x, never launched it.

6.upgraded fabric manager to 4.1x, logged in to verify everything worked.

this worked flawlessly for each 9513 i upgraded.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: