Helpful
Replies

active vlan

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi every body!

Here is my book question:

q) A switch has just arrived from cisco. The switch has never been configured with any vlans,vtp configuration,or any other configuration.An engineer gets into configuration mode and issues the vlan22 command,followed by the name Hannahs-vlan command. which of the following are true?

a) Vlan 22 is listed in the output of show vlan brief command.

b) vlan 22 does not exist inthat switch until atleast one interface is assigned to that vlan.

========================================

From my earlier posts on net pro, I learned that a vlan is regareded as active if atleast one port is assigned to it or the switch has trunk which carries that vlan.

I chose the option "B" while the book shows the correct answer is " a"

My question is it is posssible for a vlan to exist but not active on the switch i.e there is no port assigned to it and there is no trunk on the switch that carries that vlan .

Thanks a lot and have a nice day!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The answer is a)

You've successfully created Vlan22 in the Vlan Database.

You are confused with the L3 representation of Vlan 22. It needs to have one port active (access or trunk) to be up/up.

HTH,

__

Edison

View solution in original post

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Zeeshan,

If this is the command sequence, then "A" is the correct answer

vlan 22

name Hannahs-vlan

exit

An VLAN can be created in the VLAN database without any port been assigned to that VLAN, however, interface vlan 22 will not be in the up/up state if there isn't any port assigned to VLAN22, or there isn't a trunk link.

HTH,

jerry

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The answer is a)

You've successfully created Vlan22 in the Vlan Database.

You are confused with the L3 representation of Vlan 22. It needs to have one port active (access or trunk) to be up/up.

HTH,

__

Edison

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Zeeshan,

If this is the command sequence, then "A" is the correct answer

vlan 22

name Hannahs-vlan

exit

An VLAN can be created in the VLAN database without any port been assigned to that VLAN, however, interface vlan 22 will not be in the up/up state if there isn't any port assigned to VLAN22, or there isn't a trunk link.

HTH,

jerry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco