Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3750E Switches and POE Network Cameras

mtoth
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day All!

General question....was wondering if that are any known issues with Poe network cameras and the 3750E series. We are introducing network cameras into our business mix and the first camera that was installed looses connectivity every so often. Talked to the camera vendor and the camera configuration appears right. Should we be aware of any work a rounds or port specific configuration issues. It did happen with two different types of cameras.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Michael

11 Replies 11

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Michael,

How much power does the camera want? If it is over 15.4W, you need to manually set it with

power inline port maximum 20000

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750e_3560e/software/release/12.2_46_se/command/reference/cli1.html#wp8821509

HTH,

jerry

Thanks Jerry, I will look into this...we recently placed a mid span between the switch port and the camera to see if that would stabilize any power issues.

Regards,

Michael

Jerry,

The Catalyst port states POE voltage - 48

Camera specs. state 4.9-5.1 V DC Max. 4W

Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael,

Can you posted the output of show power inline and show version?

Regards,

jerry

Sorry it took so long......

Michael

Hi Michael,

Power looks okay. The IOS is a bit old. Also, have you tried different port on the switch?

Regards,

jerry

Yes Jerry, I initially had it on a 3750G switch, then moved it to a 3750E, then introduced a mid span device to take away possible POE issues, but nothing seemed to work.

Thanks!

Michael

xcz504d1114
Level 4
Level 4

I have successfully used Axis POE cameras connected to 3750E stacks with no problems.

When you say it looses connectivity, what do you mean? The port goes down? Pings stop? Live video streams stop? Or playback stops?

Don't judge connectivity based on ping results, sometimes ping is very misleading. Playback issues is more than likely a software problem (specifically buffering video playback on the user front end). If live video stream from the camera directly is the issue, then you definately have a connectivity issue.

To verify if the port is dropping (if the camera looses power the port should drop and come back up) you should be able to look in the logs.

HTH,

Craig

Thanks for the reply Craig,

It's really a funny thing, I have never seen it loose a ping when the connectivity issues happened. The picture would just freeze and give a "reconnection strategy failed - connection lost" message. I have taken that camera and tested it on other vendors switches, no problems.

Thanks,

Michael

That does seem very odd. What IOS are you running?

As the above poster mentioned, check the power drawn as well, you can use "show power inline" to see the power consumption.

My cameras pull 4.0w, I'm running a single 750w power supply, IOS 12.2(46)SE.

My stack configurations use teh 3750E as the primary uplink with the other stack members being 3750-48PS.

Below is the IOS version then the camera port and power configs. Thanks!

Cisco IOS Software, C3750 Software (C3750-IPBASEK9-M), Version 12.2(44)SE, RELEAS

SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-2008 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Sat 05-Jan-08 00:29 by weiliu

Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x01440000

ROM: Bootstrap program is C3750 boot loader

BOOTLDR: C3750 Boot Loader (C3750-HBOOT-M) Version 12.2(25r)SEC, RELEASE SOFTWARE

fc4)

Interface Admin Oper Power Device Class Max

(Watts)

Fa3/0/30 auto on 7.0 Ieee PD 2 15.4

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: