cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Possible to run a small LWAPP setup on a flat network?

jpeterson6
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

As the subject suggests, Is it possible to have the management network for a 2006 controller be the same as the client network that people associate to, or do they need to be on different networks?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mat.edwards
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

This setup will work fine. Map your WLAN to the management interface and all traffic will tunnel via the tagged/native vlan configured on the WLC/rest of your network.

This will however allow users to access the gui of the WLC so keep your password safe. Also how big is the network that you are overlaying the wireless onto? Ideally you should always segment your network regardless of the size for security.

Thanks

Mat

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

kylerossd
Level 4
Level 4

You won't be able to create a dynamic interface in the same VLAN as your static AP-Manager and Manager interfaces. You will get this error "This VLAN ID has been set on some other interface. Please try again"

So if your network is all on VLAN 1 your going to have some issues.

If you move away from LWAPP, you might be able to get away with using REAP and switch locally at the access point.

mat.edwards
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

This setup will work fine. Map your WLAN to the management interface and all traffic will tunnel via the tagged/native vlan configured on the WLC/rest of your network.

This will however allow users to access the gui of the WLC so keep your password safe. Also how big is the network that you are overlaying the wireless onto? Ideally you should always segment your network regardless of the size for security.

Thanks

Mat

So you are setting the interface to management on the SSID? Interesting, I will keep that in mind if I ever am presented with a flat network.

yup, that is correct... It not ideal, but you can do it ... The APs will do a 255.255.255.255 broadcast to find the controller...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As already noted, yes you can. I have a flat lab at the moment eveything is on vlan 10.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks for the responses guys.

I spoke with management recently and it's likely that we'll be purchasing a small 1800-series router for the network at the remote location, so I should be fine.

It's good to know that it's possible to use it on a flat network though for future reference, thanks again for that insight!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card