cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding an ACL to a bridged subinterface

kmiller
Level 1
Level 1

I was hoping someone could help determine if this is possible. I have a router on a stick configuration with several different vlans. I would like to add ACLs to the bridged sub-interfaces but not to the BVI. I wasn't sure if this is possible because I thought ACLs had to be applied to a Layer 3 interface. I tried it in a lab but was not successful in getting it to work. Sample config is below.

interface BVI1

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

interface GigabitEthernet0/0.10

encapsulation dot1Q 10

ip access-group 110 in

bridge-group 1

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/0.20

encapsulation dot1Q 20

ip access-group 120 in

bridge-group 1

access-list 110 deny udp any any

access-list 110 permit any any

access-list 120 deny udp any any

access-list 120 permit any any

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Kevin,

I thought ACLs had to be applied to a Layer 3 interface. I tried it in a lab but was not successful in getting it to work.

on a router this is correct.

However, there are multilayer switches that can be configured with both a port acl and a vlan ACL so the idea is not wrong but it depends on real implementation of device.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

You are trying to apply layer 3/4 filtering to a layer 2 interface - last time I checked, not possible.

Thanks guys for the reply. I wasn't sure if it would work but I wanted to see if anyone had ever used something like this in production.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: