cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF Prefer MPLS over DMVPN

trippi
Level 1
Level 1

I have a MPLS network running BGP redistributing into OSPF as external type 2 routes. I am setting up a DMVPN over DSL as secondary. They come in as inter area routes so are always preferred. I even placed a higher cost on the interface connecting to the DMVPN Hub. I also tried changing the administrative distance for external routes to 105, which would be less than the inter area, but neither worked...

Anyone have any ideas how I can prefer the MPLS links over the inter area DMVPN links?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Andy,

OSPF uses its own hierarchy of route types to choice the best path:

O > O IA > O E1 > O E2.

If the routes come in as O IA routes, that is remote site DMVPN routers are ABR if your addressing plan permits it you should summarize at area border with

area x range 10.10.10.0 255.255.254.0.

If this is not possible you need to:

use O E1 type for primary MPLS redistribution into primary OSPF process

use a secondary OSPF process for the DMVPN cloud that you redistribute in primary OSPF process as O E2.

Because O E1 are preferred over O E2 you should be fine.

You may need some form of route tagging and route tags based filtering for safety.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Andy,

How about using floating static route instead of forming OSPF neighbor for the DMVPN neighbor:

router ospf x

passive-interface tunnel x

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 tunnel x 190

HTH,

jerry

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Andy,

OSPF uses its own hierarchy of route types to choice the best path:

O > O IA > O E1 > O E2.

If the routes come in as O IA routes, that is remote site DMVPN routers are ABR if your addressing plan permits it you should summarize at area border with

area x range 10.10.10.0 255.255.254.0.

If this is not possible you need to:

use O E1 type for primary MPLS redistribution into primary OSPF process

use a secondary OSPF process for the DMVPN cloud that you redistribute in primary OSPF process as O E2.

Because O E1 are preferred over O E2 you should be fine.

You may need some form of route tagging and route tags based filtering for safety.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe,

Thanks for your help.

I changed my MPLS to redistribute as E1 instead of E2.

On the DMVPN spoke I added in the OSPF config to redistribute connected as E2.

Worked like a charm.

Hello Andy,

OSPF can be complex sometimes, but provides this range of route types that are useful in this kind of scenario.

Best Regards

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card