cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Phone rings twice before UC500 rings

Brikers12
Level 1
Level 1

I am noticing something weird, when I have our business line connected to the UC520 and make a call from an external land line, the exteral call rings twice before the first ring by an ip-phone connected to the UC520. If I plug our business line directly into an old analog phone (not using the UC520) and make the same call from an external line, the first ring is almost instant.

Why is there a 2 ring delay when using the UC520, is this normal?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

This is normal. It takes a ring cycle for the FXO to detect activity and receive caller id (depending on the caller ID type). You can lower this by doing this command:

UC500(config)#voice-port 0/1/0
UC500(config-voiceport)#ring number ?
  <1-10>  The number of rings detected before closing loop

Remember to do a "shutdown", followed by a "no shutdown" after changes made to your voice ports.

Thanks,

Marcos

View solution in original post

You need to keep an eye on caller ID showing up on the IP phone. Give it a shot. You can always go back.

Marcos

Hi Tervor,

Keep in mind that some carriers may not send the CID untill the second ring, i know that here in Australia most carriers pass it through on the second ring, ocassionaly it may come through on the first ring, but that is rare.

You can do a Debug VPM signal (For PSTN) and or debug ISDN to see when the CID is being passed, this will give you a good indication on how much you can decrease the Ring in timer.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

9 Replies 9

This is normal. It takes a ring cycle for the FXO to detect activity and receive caller id (depending on the caller ID type). You can lower this by doing this command:

UC500(config-voiceport)#ring number ?
  <1-10>  The number of rings detected before closing loop

Remember to do a "shutdown", followed by a "no shutdown" after changes made to your voice ports.

Thanks,

Marcos

thanks for the reply. Is there any disadvantage to doing this?

You need to keep an eye on caller ID showing up on the IP phone. Give it a shot. You can always go back.

Marcos

ok I will play around with it. Our caller ID is't setup on our new lines until monday so i'll have to wait.

Hi Tervor,

Keep in mind that some carriers may not send the CID untill the second ring, i know that here in Australia most carriers pass it through on the second ring, ocassionaly it may come through on the first ring, but that is rare.

You can do a Debug VPM signal (For PSTN) and or debug ISDN to see when the CID is being passed, this will give you a good indication on how much you can decrease the Ring in timer.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

I typed the following in the CLI with no errors, but when I search the output of "show running-config" I can't find "ring number" anywhere, so i don't think it applied?

UC500#enable

UC500#conf t

UC500(config-voiceport)#ring number 1

UC500(config-voiceport)#shutdown

UC500(config-voiceport)#no shutdown

UC500(config-voiceport)#exit

UC500(config)#exit

UC500#wr mem

is that the correct way I should make changes?

I also hearch this from my Telco: "On the TELUS network, the Name and number are delivered immediately following the first full ring."

It seems the CallerID on my line still isn`t going to be setup until tommorow, so I can`t fully test when the CID is actually passed.

This is the correct way. Let us know how it goes.

Marcos

You can try to do "connection plar XXX immediate" and see what happens. XXX is the destination number (internal). Again, a "shut", "no shut" would be required.

Marcos

Yes that setting definatly worked, the Cisco ip-phone rings much faster now, right after the first ring on the external end. I will see tommorow how it effects the CallerID, thanks so much for the help with this!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: