cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2801 with USB Port

davidhuynh5
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know how to access the USB port on the 2801 router? I currenty have a USB flash drive inserted, but can't access the drive. Any documentation on this would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

NB: Can't say for sure for 2801s, but for 2811s have found some brand X USBs do work. Two things that seem important, USB not be larger than 256 MB (hard to find current ones that small), and correct formatting (best luck I've found is formatting on the router itself).

[edit]

One other thing that might be, or not, important, whether the ROM code is current. Believe on some 2811s(?), newer ROM code is needed to boot from USB, unsure whether that code is involved with non-boot access (acting perhaps as a device driver too). (Also on code versions, IOS version might be an issue, although I would think any IOS for a 2800 series ISR would be new enough.)

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi David,

Points to remember regarding the use of USB on routers:

1. Maximum size is 2Gb;

2. If you want to use Boot-via-USB feature, you'll need to upgrade the ROMmon (no biggie here);

3. NOT ALL USBs are supported (shabby manufacturer); and

4. BEFORE using the USB, FORMAT the USB using the Cisco IOS (format usbflash0: or usbflash1:).

(Cover your ears Edison! He he he ...)

I've been booting and using (3rd party/non-Cisco) USB to either copy IOS/ROMmon/files/etc from one router to another since 2007 and it's a hoot! I always make it a point to upgrade the ROMmon of the routers.

NOTE: Sup32 and Sup720 DO NOT support USB. I am unable to verify if Supervisor Engines for the 4000/4500 chassis do.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

From reading the article, I can not use a USB drive from any store. It has to be a Cisco USB flash? Am I reading this correctly? Thanks.

NB: Can't say for sure for 2801s, but for 2811s have found some brand X USBs do work. Two things that seem important, USB not be larger than 256 MB (hard to find current ones that small), and correct formatting (best luck I've found is formatting on the router itself).

[edit]

One other thing that might be, or not, important, whether the ROM code is current. Believe on some 2811s(?), newer ROM code is needed to boot from USB, unsure whether that code is involved with non-boot access (acting perhaps as a device driver too). (Also on code versions, IOS version might be an issue, although I would think any IOS for a 2800 series ISR would be new enough.)

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi David,

Points to remember regarding the use of USB on routers:

1. Maximum size is 2Gb;

2. If you want to use Boot-via-USB feature, you'll need to upgrade the ROMmon (no biggie here);

3. NOT ALL USBs are supported (shabby manufacturer); and

4. BEFORE using the USB, FORMAT the USB using the Cisco IOS (format usbflash0: or usbflash1:).

(Cover your ears Edison! He he he ...)

I've been booting and using (3rd party/non-Cisco) USB to either copy IOS/ROMmon/files/etc from one router to another since 2007 and it's a hoot! I always make it a point to upgrade the ROMmon of the routers.

NOTE: Sup32 and Sup720 DO NOT support USB. I am unable to verify if Supervisor Engines for the 4000/4500 chassis do.

Hope this helps!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi David,

Thank you for the ratings!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey David,

Didn't you work for EDS before?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: