Views
Helpful
Replies

hsrp config

anitachoi3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The vendor proposes the network design, please find the attached file for detail. I have some questiones regarding the design

1. Is it possible to config the ip address of two routers below?

R1

FE0: 192.168.1.1/24

FE1: 192.168.1.2/24

virtual IP 192.168.1.10

R2

FE0: 192.168.1.3/24

virtual IP 192.168.1.10

2. how to config the HSRP in R1?

3. Is it a loop between the switches and router 1? Is the spanning tree enabled to be required?

thanks

rdgs

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

visitor68
Level 4
Level 4

Anita:

R1 poses a problem. You cannot have two interfaces on the same router on the same subnet.

You dont indicate what kind of connection you have between your routers in your drawing, but you need to have a layer 2 adjacency between R1 and R2 so that you can span the subnet across both routers. Maybe through the switches?

Yes, run STP.

HTH

Victor

View solution in original post

Hello Anita,

to use HSRP the two routers need to be connected to the same vlan, because they need to see each other's HSRP messages.

I think this is the sense of

"Maybe through the switches?"

And yes switches have to run STP.

Note:

there is a way to use both FE on R1 that is to use IRB something like

int fe0

no ip addr

bridge-group 1

int fe1

no ip addr

bridge-group 1

int bvi1

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

! hsrp config here

bridge 1 route ip

bridge 1 protocol ieee

STP will be spoken as legacy 802.1D by the router a single link will be used with the second blocked by STP.

In case you would like to implement this you need to be sure root bridge is one of the lan switch

Hope to help

Giuseppe

You dont require to wire site A and site B switches provided that HSRP vlan are allowed through trunk between user switch and site A and site B switches so that HSRP hello packets can be communicated between two routers. As you perceive, connectivity between user switch and site A&B switches is essential in order for HSRP to work.

5 Replies 5

visitor68
Level 4
Level 4

Anita:

R1 poses a problem. You cannot have two interfaces on the same router on the same subnet.

You dont indicate what kind of connection you have between your routers in your drawing, but you need to have a layer 2 adjacency between R1 and R2 so that you can span the subnet across both routers. Maybe through the switches?

Yes, run STP.

HTH

Victor

Hi Victor,

Yes, two interfaces cannot be in the same subnet. The FE1 will be disabled. Can HSRP be config on FE0 of R1 and FE0 of R2?

the connection type of two routers is fibre ethernet connection.

R1

FE2: 172.16.1.1/30

R2

FE2: 172.16.1.2/30

I cannot catch the meaning of "Maybe through the switches?"

Rdgs

Hello Anita,

to use HSRP the two routers need to be connected to the same vlan, because they need to see each other's HSRP messages.

I think this is the sense of

"Maybe through the switches?"

And yes switches have to run STP.

Note:

there is a way to use both FE on R1 that is to use IRB something like

int fe0

no ip addr

bridge-group 1

int fe1

no ip addr

bridge-group 1

int bvi1

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

! hsrp config here

bridge 1 route ip

bridge 1 protocol ieee

STP will be spoken as legacy 802.1D by the router a single link will be used with the second blocked by STP.

In case you would like to implement this you need to be sure root bridge is one of the lan switch

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

Thanks for your suggestion config. Regarding the HSRP, it should be in the same VLAN, do I wire a fibre to connect two switches between site A and site B? or the HSRP message goes to the "user switch" and back to site B?

If I go to second one, the risk may shift to "user switch". Any idea?

rdgs

You dont require to wire site A and site B switches provided that HSRP vlan are allowed through trunk between user switch and site A and site B switches so that HSRP hello packets can be communicated between two routers. As you perceive, connectivity between user switch and site A&B switches is essential in order for HSRP to work.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card