Views
Helpful
Replies

show vtp status

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi everybody!

The " show vtp status" commands shows a lot of information.

" show vtp status" command when issued on vtp client switch also shows " configuration last modified by ( ip address)" towards the end of output.

Is this ip address of the switch on which vlan database was changed?

===========================

The command" show vtp status" on vtp server shows " local updater id is x.x.x.x ( ip address)" at the end.

does this ip address belong to switch on which vlan changes were made or is the ip address of the switch from which vtp advertisement was received?

Thanks a lot and have a nice weekend!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Sarah,

Please refer to this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/lanswitch/command/reference/lsw_s2.html#wp1013952

The Usage Guidelines explains the meaning of each field and you were correct on the original posting - it refers to the IP address of the switch that last modified the Vlan DB.

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

Hello Jimmy,

the VTP message is sent out as a multicast L2 frame and travels unchanged on vlan1 on all inter-switch trunk links.

It is not regenerated at each switch hop.

This is different from what happens for STP BPUs that are actually modified at each switch hop.

the ip address field is that of a VTP server the one that did last change as Edison has noted.

I can see this on campus networks where some access layer switch is behind another access layer switch.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

jimmysands73_2
Level 5
Level 5

It shows the IP from where the VTP was recv'd.

http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=102157&seqNum=6

Also displayed is the IP address of the device that last modified the configuration and a time stamp showing when the modification was made.

Thanks jimmysands.

The link you forwarded did not address my question anywhere. I did not find any explanation about the output of show vtp status command.

Thanks and have a nice weekend!

Sarah,

Please refer to this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/lanswitch/command/reference/lsw_s2.html#wp1013952

The Usage Guidelines explains the meaning of each field and you were correct on the original posting - it refers to the IP address of the switch that last modified the Vlan DB.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Hello Jimmy,

the VTP message is sent out as a multicast L2 frame and travels unchanged on vlan1 on all inter-switch trunk links.

It is not regenerated at each switch hop.

This is different from what happens for STP BPUs that are actually modified at each switch hop.

the ip address field is that of a VTP server the one that did last change as Edison has noted.

I can see this on campus networks where some access layer switch is behind another access layer switch.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you for clarifying things.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card