cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switchport Mirroring Question

carbonscoring
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a webfilter server that I have set up out of band. In previous installs I've always had the server connected to a the same switch that my firewall was comming in on.

However this time the server is located on another access switch. I'm having issues configuring or how I should configure the SPAN port. Since the source port that I'm monitoring is not on the same switch as the destination port I'm unsure if I should source the Vlan that its comming in on or the trunk port its comming in on or if there is another method. Here's what I added to the access switch that is attached to the server:

monitor session 1 source interface Gi0/1

monitor session 1 destination interface Fa0/17 ingress vlan 1

I'm attaching a jpeg that shows physical/logical of the network.

please any help,

thanks,

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

yagnesh_tel
Level 1
Level 1

You will need RSPAN for this as source ports and destination ports are distributed across multiple switches. You should create an RSPAN VLAN before configuring an RSPAN source or destination session.

Follow this guideline:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3550/software/release/12.1_13_ea1/configuration/guide/swspan.html#wp1081130

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

yagnesh_tel
Level 1
Level 1

You will need RSPAN for this as source ports and destination ports are distributed across multiple switches. You should create an RSPAN VLAN before configuring an RSPAN source or destination session.

Follow this guideline:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3550/software/release/12.1_13_ea1/configuration/guide/swspan.html#wp1081130

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: