Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA scale options on SIP-400

sultan-shaikh
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

Are there any scalability limitations on 7600 with a SIP-400 module?

Specifically looking for pointers in identifying the maximum number of 1xGig ports supported per SIP-400 on a 7600 router.

Thanks

~sultan

6 Replies 6

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sultan,

SIP-400 has 4 SPA bay, each bay can support 2x1G or 5x1G SPA depend on your IOS version.

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps368/product_data_sheet0900aecd8027c9e6.html

HTH,

jerry

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your response.

I am looking for a 'matrix' that gives me various combinations I can stick in, though you mention that each bay can support upto 2x1G or 5x1G, that is not the case.

When I try to stick in 3 nos. of 2x1G V2 SPA I get a message something like capacity exhausted/expended etc... and the SPA goes 'down'. In addition there are loads of other SIP/SPA incompatibilities... I wonder how difficult it would have been to make a single SIP capable of having ALL the available SPAs in any combination... but then this is Cisco :-)

I have also spoken to TAC, but the response was limited to 'Please check the product specifications'.

Thanks

~sultan

Hi Sultan,

Here is what I found from the product specification from the link I gave you before:

Table 1. Features and Benefits of Cisco 7600 SIP-400

CPU

Ability to run 4 GE line rate for 64-byte packets, and OC-48 line rate for 48-byte packets for POS, HDLC, etc. with select services

HTH,

jerry

Hi Jerry,

Really appreciate your response.

So this essentially means that I can have two 2GE SPA per SIP-400 module, that is the maximum I can scale!!

I will be left with two unused bays...

Thanks

~sultan

Hi Sultan,

I think that is the case. Please keep in mind that the SIP-400 is not designed for the 2GE SPA only, other SPA, such the 4xDS3, etc. For the 4xDS3, I have seen customer put 4 SPA into a SIP-400 and no complain from the IOS.

HTH,

jerry

Hi Jerry,

You inputs have been helpful, thanks for your replies..

Cheers

~sultan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: