cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to change bounce message for spam tagged email?

horol_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,
I'm checking outgoing email messages for spam. I will send bounce to email sender (user from my domain) if message is tagged as positive or suspected spam. ok, I can set it, but how can I change text in bounce message?

default bounce if mail is tagged as spam is:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: FW: something
Sent: 7/12/2009 8:33 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

user@domain.com on 7/12/2009 8:35 PM
The e-mail system was unable to deliver the message, but did not report a specific reason. Check the address and try again. If it still fails, contact your system administrator.
<smtp.domain.com #5.0.0 smtp; 5.x.0 - Message bounced by administrator (delivery attempts: 0)>

^^ but there is no information for the sender that message is not possible deliver, because is tagged as spam.

Is it possible to change this default message?
(AsyncOS: v6.5.2-101)

martin

2 Replies 2

kluu_ironport
Level 2
Level 2

You are correct that it doesn't appear that the Positive Spam or Suspect Spam setting doesn't appear to give you any leeway on using a different bounce profile/message to whomever you bounce it back to.

You may want to consider this workaround.

1. In the Action, change it to "Deliver"
2. In the Advanced section of both the Positive and Suspect spam, there is a section labeled "Add Custom Header". Add a custom header like the following:

X-Internal-Spam-Message: true

3. Then, since this message will still go through the outgoing content filters, you can create an outgoing content filter that looks for the "X-Internal-Spam-Message" header. If that header exist, then the outgoing content filter will match. For the action, you may need to use the "notify()" action and notify the original sender that it could not get delivered since it was detected to be spam. There is an option to attach the original message. The reason you need to use the notify() instead of the bounce() is because bounce doesn't currently have the option to specify which bounce profile to use.

You can only specify a different bounce profile in the "Mail Policies > Destination Controls".

Let me know if you have any question.

horol_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

thanks kevin. I will check it tomorow. I will tell you if this is helpful for me.
martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: