bandwidth & data size relation

Unanswered Question
Jul 13th, 2009

This query is to understand the relation between bandwidth throughput & data size.

Assuming we have a 2Mbps WAN(MPLS, serial,metroe)link.

No restriction is placed wrt to the data size ( viz. in MB/GB) that can be transferred over this link-my understanding.

So if this is correct, is there any relation between these two which we need to consider for bandwidth allocation or sizing?

If this is incorrect, please correct me.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Joseph W. Doherty Mon, 07/13/2009 - 03:49

The simple relationship is bandwidth is bits per second (bps). Give a certain amount of data (size), bps will determine how long to make the transfer.

2 Mbps is 250 KB(ytes)ps. Data (payload) bandwidth is less. How much less depends on the media (there's media overhead) and frame/packet size overhead (which sets ratio between frame/packet overhead and payload [your data]).

For large frames/packets, your data might obtain 95%+ of "bandwidth". For minimum frames/packets you might effectively obtain less than 2% "bandwidth".

BTW, there's even more to sizing, even for bulk data transfers. For instance, with something like MPLS or Metro Ethernet, a service provider shared bandwidth technology, there's bandwith to/from the provider backbone/cloud and what "bandwidth" you've contracted for through the provider backbone/cloud.

There's also many issues involved in how effectively your hosts can utilize the "bandwidth".

This Discussion