Views
Helpful
Replies

Device Power Consumption

matthewbevan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Help required. I am doing an audit which involves gathering information about power consumption of cisco devices. I have done various show commands etc but I am struggling to work out exactly what power each device is consuming. Any of you guys able to help with maybe an equation to find out the power each devuce is consuming (ive looked at data sheets but I really dont think they help too much) ... :-( thanks!

3 Replies 3

xcz504d1114
Level 4
Level 4

I do not believe there is any command that list the power a switch or router is pulling from a wall outlet. Cisco documentation is the only place I know to get that information. If it is a modular device, such as a 6509, or even the 3750E switch with interchangable power supplies, you can use the "show inventory" command to get the power supply information, 750W etc. But you can find most of this in the data sheet for the specific device.

As for a formula to convert power, that all depends on how you want to represent the data, power can be measured in a number of ways, typically when you want to know the "load" you are pulling, or putting on a UPS (depends on perspective), you are typically talking about amps.

HTH,

Craig

jtalbaugh
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco has a power calculator tool on the website.

http://tools.cisco.com/cpc/

I don't think it covers all devices but it could be a starting point.

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The best it to get a power strip that provides measurement of power consumption. Racks in the data centre should be equipped with this to provide accurate measurement and not to overload and trip the power in the rack.

Following cannot be use for actual measurement of power consumption;

- commands

- calculator

- device power requirement/consumption table

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card