cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which is better for switch recovery

mattkauffmann
Level 1
Level 1

Currently we have a process that captures the output of show tech detail to a text file and that gets piped to a txt file and then copied to a server. This whole process was created back in the 2.x days. Now I see the option to do an image of the NVRAM to a file that could be copied off the switch. So my question is which one is better to recover your switch from or is there really no difference? The output files seem to be the same (they look the same in notepad but . . . )

2 Replies 2

Michael Brown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Show tech detail would be much more than you need to recover a switch. I know early on (like in SAN OS 2.x) there was an issue with how the text output of a 'show run' was parsed, that resulted in some issues. Those have been resolved in the 3.x levels. I would recommend using the output from a 'copy nvram:startup-config' command as the recovery file for your switch configurations.

Hope this helps,

Mike

inch
Level 3
Level 3

G'day,

You really only need cop run - Don't forget that if this is in a multi switch environment that zoning info will appear in the sh run but not a sh start except for the principal switch :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: