cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

catos password change via snmp

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Anyone know how to change a catos device password , telnet or enablepass via snmp if you know the community strings. Have been unable to find anything on the website and don't want to have to go thru the manual recovery process. Any webpages I can look at ?

3 Replies 3

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

Basically you can only do the following :

-Download the router config using SNMP

-Change the password on the config file

-Upload the new router config to the router from the tftp server

-Copy the changes to NVRAM

To download / upload the router config :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a008009463e.shtml

To save the changes to NVRAM:

Snmpset -c rw-string #.#.#.# .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.54.0 integer 1

where:

the rw-string is the router read-write snmp community string AND #.#.#.# the ip address

This appears to be for a IOS box .The issue is with catos boxes running 7.X version software. Seems strange there isn't a way to change things via snmp like the passwords .

May have found a solution. I found a box that I know the passwords are correct and copied and pasted the "set password and set enablepass lines with the password strings into a file with beginning and end statements for a unix file and then you can config net the file with just the 2 statements and that will change the password without having to know the old password.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card