Views
Helpful
Replies

Saved Blocker Configuration

thmccorm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

My name is Tom, I am a ICAM in Australia. I've never asked a question on this forum before, but when a Partner of mine had a question I thought I'd give it a try so I'm familiar with the process. This way I can point more of my Partners to this resource in the future.

One of my Partners is interested in some Spam Blocker deployments, he wants to know if he can save the config on one blocker and put it onto another. He feels this would help in a situation where he puts a Blocker into a customer site for a trial period.

Is there any information on this or a place where I can point him?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Tom

2 Replies 2

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Tom,

The Blocker User Guide talks about this in terms of Managing the Configuration FIle.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10131/products_user_guide_list.html

Look on Page 1-19 and you can probably do this, I would guess that there would be settings that would not be the same on any two units, but you can adjust those via this file, so its kinda like a way to avoid all the GUI screens for advanced users....

Managing the Configuration File
All configuration settings within the Blocker can be managed via a single configuration file. The file is
maintained in XML (Extensible Markup Language) format.
You can use this file in several ways:
• You can save the configuration file to a different system to back up and preserve crucial
configuration data. If you make a mistake while configuring your appliance, you can “roll back” to
the most recently saved configuration file.
• You can download the existing configuration file to view the entire configuration for an appliance
quickly. (Many newer browsers include the ability to render XML files directly.) This may help you
troubleshoot minor errors (like typographic errors) that may exist in the current configuration.
• You can download an existing configuration file, make changes to it, and upload it to the same
appliance. This, in effect, “bypasses” the GUI for making configuration changes.
• You can upload entire configuration file via FTP access.
• Because the file is in XML format, an associated DTD (document type definition) that describes all
of the XML entities in the configuration file is also provided. You can download the DTD to validate
an XML configuration file before uploading it. (XML Validation tools are readily available on the
Internet.)

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your help here, I've passed the information onto the Partner and also pointed him to this site.

This is a terrific resource!

Cheers,

Tom

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: