Views
Helpful
Replies

Need to add new vlan/bridge group to 3560

ddecoursey
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

complete novice here.... just established a new network to add to the mix where do I start ?

thanks

10 Replies 10

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

How do you want the new network to interact?

I currently have 3 internal networks

(using the 192.168.0.0 private reserved)

the 3560 routes between all 3 plus 2 other networks that are in the building which are not part of my windows domain

We used to have a Cisco tech do all the support on this box...but as time goes on the service call rate is just about unbearable so I am looking to learn to do some of this setup myself

OK - so what is it you want to do?

This new network needs to be reachable from all my other networks... excuse me if I use terms out of context...but in watching the cisco tech.....I think I need to establish a vlan(bridge gropup?) for this new network on the 3560..... so ,for instance, If I am sitting on one of the other existing networks I can talk t odevices on this new netowrk

OK - the terminology is correct, how does this new network connect to the 3560? via another switch or router?

All you really need to do is create a VLAN, create a SVI and assign the VLAN directly to the switchport the new network!

I have a HP Procureve switch that will be the unit that will be cables tothe 3560.... (trunk )then all me servers will connect to this switch...

what I am doing here is establishing a new network/vlan that will support Out of band (OOB) server management ( HP Integrated Lights out aka ILO)

capabilities all my HP servers have an "integrate mamangment processor" that has its own NIC

OK - then my previous post is relevant, apart from assigning the vlan to the switchport. Now you need to configure the switch that connects to the HP as a trunk. You also need to configure the HP side with all the relevant VLAN's and dot1q trunking.

HTH>

I have the web device assitant and the netowrk assistant and i kno there is a command line way...which is preferred (for novice)

I have nver used either of those - so cannot really comment. I always use the cli - you have all config options available to you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco