cat 6500 file system

Unanswered Question
Jul 14th, 2009

hi all

if i have 2 sup cards in my 6500, does the running config and image automatically get copied to the backup sup ?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Jerry Ye Tue, 07/14/2009 - 07:26

Hi Carl,

Is that a newly installed SUP?

For IOS, the configuration will copy when you issued a write mem or copy run start. Not for the software though.

For CatOS, the configuration and software will copy automatically.

HTH,

jerry

carl_townshend Tue, 07/14/2009 - 07:40

hi

yes it would be a new sup, i was told that the ios image would get copied to the new standyby sup? if not how would i do this ?

Jerry Ye Tue, 07/14/2009 - 07:48

Hi Carl,

IOS image will not be copy over automatically, you have to manually do it. Is this a SUP2 or SUP720?

Insert the new SUP, after it booted up, issue copy sup-bootdisk:/image_name slavesup-bootdisk: or copy disk0:/image_name slavedisk0:.

This is what I do for SUP720 to save a reboot. Copy the correct image to a CF card, insert it into the new SUP. When you insert the new SUP, you issue a break sequence, in ROMMON, use boot disk0:/image_name.

After it boot up it copy the image to the desire location (sup-bootflash: or so).

HTH,

jerry

carl_townshend Wed, 07/15/2009 - 00:21

hi there

i am on the dcni-1 course, and it says there is something called UBL (universal boot loader), this automaticallt copies the active image to the standby and reboots the standby card.

Jerry Ye Wed, 07/15/2009 - 05:24

Hi Carl,

That is possible. However, I've never pay attention to UBL since you have to load the full IOS anyway.

HTH,

jerry

carl_townshend Wed, 07/15/2009 - 05:54

hi there

why is this?

so are you saying i should copy the image from my active sup to the slave bootflash etc ?,

what would i do then, would it automatically reboot and sync ?

Jerry Ye Wed, 07/15/2009 - 06:02

Hi Carl,

Yes, generally, if I have a spare chassis, I will copy the same image to the new SUP. Then I insert it into the one that is running with an active SUP. After insert, issue a write mem. Since the software on both SUP's are the same, the configuration will sync over. This is only apply to native IOS.

HTH,

jerry

Actions

This Discussion