Views
Helpful
Replies

cat 6500 file system

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

hi all

if i have 2 sup cards in my 6500, does the running config and image automatically get copied to the backup sup ?

7 Replies 7

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Carl,

Is that a newly installed SUP?

For IOS, the configuration will copy when you issued a write mem or copy run start. Not for the software though.

For CatOS, the configuration and software will copy automatically.

HTH,

jerry

hi

yes it would be a new sup, i was told that the ios image would get copied to the new standyby sup? if not how would i do this ?

Hi Carl,

IOS image will not be copy over automatically, you have to manually do it. Is this a SUP2 or SUP720?

Insert the new SUP, after it booted up, issue copy sup-bootdisk:/image_name slavesup-bootdisk: or copy disk0:/image_name slavedisk0:.

This is what I do for SUP720 to save a reboot. Copy the correct image to a CF card, insert it into the new SUP. When you insert the new SUP, you issue a break sequence, in ROMMON, use boot disk0:/image_name.

After it boot up it copy the image to the desire location (sup-bootflash: or so).

HTH,

jerry

hi there

i am on the dcni-1 course, and it says there is something called UBL (universal boot loader), this automaticallt copies the active image to the standby and reboots the standby card.

Hi Carl,

That is possible. However, I've never pay attention to UBL since you have to load the full IOS anyway.

HTH,

jerry

hi there

why is this?

so are you saying i should copy the image from my active sup to the slave bootflash etc ?,

what would i do then, would it automatically reboot and sync ?

Hi Carl,

Yes, generally, if I have a spare chassis, I will copy the same image to the new SUP. Then I insert it into the one that is running with an active SUP. After insert, issue a write mem. Since the software on both SUP's are the same, the configuration will sync over. This is only apply to native IOS.

HTH,

jerry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card