Views
Helpful
Replies

WEP to WPA migration / Tools to easy rollout to wireless clients

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

Would like to learn of any tools I could use to rolling out Wireless settings to wireless clients in our LAN. I have come across some links in Microsoft in using Group Policy (GPO) through AD, but GPO seems more of a OS or Apps rollout , have not seen anything on wireless.

Do you know of any tools, Cisco wireless management clients, or even MS GPO if it can be done to easy the rollout from WEP to WPA changes.

The tool should rollout SSID, WPA Pre-share key.

Regards

Jorge Rodriguez
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

mat.edwards
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

MS Group Policy will do the trick no problem.

If you create a new policy for your AD group (Or use your default GP), and go Properties->Computer Configuration->Windows Settings->Security Settings->Wireless Network Policies->Create New->follow all the next,next,next steps then add your WLAN details.

If you use a seperate policy to the default policy, make sure in the policy options you tick the box otherwise the default group policy will stop the new settings from being pushed to your OU. The next time the machine joins the domain the settings will be pulled down and can connect to the WLAN.

If you are using an MS domain this is the best way to do it (as long as your using WZC client)and no third party tools i.e Intel etc

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mat

View solution in original post

I concur - we did this back in 2006 via GPO. It rolled out quite nicely. We also disabled ad-hoc networking via the same GPO.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mat.edwards
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

MS Group Policy will do the trick no problem.

If you create a new policy for your AD group (Or use your default GP), and go Properties->Computer Configuration->Windows Settings->Security Settings->Wireless Network Policies->Create New->follow all the next,next,next steps then add your WLAN details.

If you use a seperate policy to the default policy, make sure in the policy options you tick the box otherwise the default group policy will stop the new settings from being pushed to your OU. The next time the machine joins the domain the settings will be pulled down and can connect to the WLAN.

If you are using an MS domain this is the best way to do it (as long as your using WZC client)and no third party tools i.e Intel etc

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mat

I concur - we did this back in 2006 via GPO. It rolled out quite nicely. We also disabled ad-hoc networking via the same GPO.

Thank you both for feedback and confirmation.

Jorge Rodriguez
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card