Views
Helpful
Replies

Fiber termination on Router

ronald.ramzy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have Internet connection via Fiber but the Router do not have a Fiber module.

Router is 2800 series

I have a spare 2960 switch with SFP module.

is there any solution

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"is there any solution "

Yes, with your equipment, one possible solution would be to terminate the fiber connection on the 2960's SFP port and then connect the 2800 and 2960 together via copper Ethernet.

Doing the prior, you could also define more than one VLAN on the 2960. If you do, you just need to insure the router and fiber connection are members of the same VLAN.

If you find you're short of Ethernet ports on the 2800, you can also VLAN trunk between the 2800 and the 2960.

Thanks for your reply.

Are you aware of cisco doc link explaining what you stated.

On Router 2800 I have two fastethernet ports and 2960 switch is 24 ports.

I will install the SFP on 2960 switch, and on port fa 0/20 I would configure

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

on router 2800

fa 0/0

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

How I will configure on router 2800 for service provider configuration and my LAN configuration.

Hello Ronald,

if f0/0 on c2800 is a "router port" you need to use subinterfaces

int f0/0

no ip address

int f0/0.10

enc dot1q 10

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

int f0/0.20

enc dot1q 20

ip address 10.10.20.1 255.255.255.0

and so on

Hope to help

Giuseppe

"Are you aware of cisco doc link explaining what you stated."

Sorry, don't have Cisco reference doc at hand expaining all I suggested.

"How I will configure on router 2800 for service provider configuration and my LAN configuration. "

Giuseppe answered that in his post, but remember, you should only need to do this if you run out of interfaces on your router. You could, for instance, have each router port still connected to the 2960 switch. Each in different VLANs on the switch, with the switch defining the ports as access ports.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ronald,

2960 will support only Dot1Q encapsulation so you don't need the command switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card