cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firewall rule line placement in fwsm sequentially

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

I have query regarding placement of rules on fwsm using cli when inserting new acl's for getting correct sequence.

Would the original acl occupying the particular line no. be removed if i try to add/insert another acl starting with same line no(one for remark & one for actual acl)before/after(or actually in place of existing since we use that line no.) the existing acl?

eg:-(existing rules)

acl test_in line 124 remark allow to sql

acl test_in line 125 permit tcp host 192.168.100.2 host 192.168.20.5 eq 1433

acl test_in line 126 permit tcp object-group test_1 object-group test_2 object-groupTCP_4

access-list check_access line 125 extended permit tcp host users host 192.168.100.10 eq 1521

I need to insert following two line rule after rule125 ( in place of 126)

acl test_in line 126 remark allow to smb

acl test_in line 125 permit tcp host 192.168.100.100 host 192.168.20.10 eq 1433

If i insert this after rule 125 , will it push existing line 126 further ahead or remove it completely?

Also, if am correct the more specific rules should be put on top before the broad rules, correct?

Kindly help to understand.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

"But for sure, doing such insertions wont cause any of the rules/remarks to be removed right."

No rules should be removed. They simply get a different line number.

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sunny

"If i insert this after rule 125 , will it push existing line 126 further ahead or remove it completely?"

It will push existing line 126 further ahead.

"Also, if am correct the more specific rules should be put on top before the broad rules, correct?"

Correct.

Jon

Thanks Jon.

But for sure, doing such insertions wont cause any of the rules/remarks to be removed right.

"But for sure, doing such insertions wont cause any of the rules/remarks to be removed right."

No rules should be removed. They simply get a different line number.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card