Accessing Lab for Office

Unanswered Question
Jul 15th, 2009


I have a Lab at home which comprises of 3 2621 routes and 2 2950 switches

Q.1 My question is how can i access my home lab from office in the best way.

Is RDP a good option or something else.

Q.2Once i get into one router how will i access the other routers and switches

Q.3Do i use management ip on 2950 to acess it Thru Telnet

3how can i access the switches

I have this problem too.
0 votes
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 3 (3 ratings)
Edison Ortiz Wed, 07/15/2009 - 10:08

If you have a dynamic public IP, you can subscribe to and have hostname that points to your home IP external IP address.

On your router, you will need to forward the ports for RDP or any remote control application such as VNC or PC-Anywhere - you will need to check your WAN router documentation on the subject.

Once you access your home PC from the internet, you basically can telnet to the Lab if you have attached the ethernet ports of the routers onto your home switch.

If you have not, then you need to setup a terminal server and console from the terminal server to the lab routers. The terminal server will need to be connected to your home LAN for management access and you will need to forward the telnet port on your WAN router for remote access.




gurkamal01 Wed, 07/15/2009 - 10:58


Thank for your response

Q1.By Public you mean internet right?

Q2.Is RDP,VNC or PC anywhere secure over the internet if not how can i secure it

Q3what are the options i have in which i dont want to use my home PC at all So i can go directly to my routers form mu office PC

Edison Ortiz Wed, 07/15/2009 - 11:03

1. Yes

2. You need to read the documentation on each of the product for security components

3. You need to attach your routers to your LAN segment and forward the telnet port in your WAN router. As you only have a single WAN IP, the only option here is having a terminal server.

xcz504d1114 Wed, 07/15/2009 - 10:13

You can look into a terminal server, you can telnet to the terminal server and then have console access to all devices, it might take you some looking, but you can find some pretty cheap.

Cisco also has some terminal servers, but they have been discontinued and replaced with modular cards for 3800's and such. But you might be able to find some on e-bay or surfing the net. They are Cisco 2509 - 2512. You would also need an octal cable.

Here is a link about them:

The third option is to configure your routers to accept telnet, then setup reverse telnet, reverse telnet would use the AUX port on your router. So you could telnet to the router, then reverse telnet to the console of one of your switches.

Here is a good quick reference from both cisco, and a quick how to from another website:



gurkamal01 Thu, 07/16/2009 - 13:07


I appreciate your help

According to the third option mentioned above

I only have one public ip do i use the reverse telnet to access other routers and switches in the lab apart from the one router which i access thru public ip.

The document provided gives information how to use reverse telnet into a modem not router and switches.

Q2.Can anyone give me example or a configuration for reverse telneting into other routers and switches of the lab.

Please help

pompeychimes Thu, 07/16/2009 - 18:05

It sounds like you are in learning / study mode. No offense, but these are the types of things you should be figuring out yourself. Working through problems such as these is the best way to learn.

jimmysands73_2 Thu, 07/16/2009 - 19:39

To pipe in on what pompeychimes wrote, I searched the internet for reverse telnet, the second link looked good:

What is Reverse Telnet and how do I configure it? - Cisco: Routers ...


This Discussion