cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What product is suited for covering largest distance outdoor?

rdianat
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

One of my customers requires wirelss connectiviy between 11 locations located in an area with a diameter of 8 miles. Does anyone have any experience with any Cisco product which can cover this range? I assume this needs some type of wireless bridge. What is the maximum distance a Cisco Wireless bridge can cover?

Thanks,

rdianat

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

leolaohoo,

Thanks for the excellent links you have provided. I agree that the range problem could be resolved with right choice of Antenna, but what about the Access point itself? Are all APs capable of producing right power to cover the range? what Access Point is good choice for covering 8 miles range? Could this be done only with 2 access points in bridge mode or I have to choose more relay points to cover 8 miles. Do you have any experience with this?

Thanks,

rdianat

Take a look at the Outdoor Bridge Range Calculation Utility. This should give you a good idea of the range and data rates at a given range.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps458/prod_technical_reference09186a00800a912a.xls

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For obvious reason, you can't use the 1130 or 1140 APs. 1240/1250 are your likely choices.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card