cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.1 Upgrade via NFS mount

sirbaughmf
Level 1
Level 1

I see you don't suggest mounting the dvd via NFS, what are your concerns, what are the issues, etc. I have three servers in different locations and it would be easiser to upgrade from a single location via NFS. What suggestion do you have?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Installing from NFS is problematic if the network is slow or unstable. Disconnections, drops, etc. can corrupt an LMS installation (or cause it to lock up).

Instead, you can copy the contents of the DVD using tar, then copy the tar file to the remote servers, extract, and install locally. The command to tar the DVD is:

# cd /cdrom/cdrom0

# tar -Ecpf /path/to/lms.tar .

Then, to untar the file:

tar -xpf lms.tar

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Installing from NFS is problematic if the network is slow or unstable. Disconnections, drops, etc. can corrupt an LMS installation (or cause it to lock up).

Instead, you can copy the contents of the DVD using tar, then copy the tar file to the remote servers, extract, and install locally. The command to tar the DVD is:

# cd /cdrom/cdrom0

# tar -Ecpf /path/to/lms.tar .

Then, to untar the file:

tar -xpf lms.tar

I'm finally to a point where I'm getting ready to upgrade, tomorrow...I began to untar the the image file I copied over from the CD and I'm getting errors on each file, i.e. "tar: Unknown file type 'X' for tmp/PaxHeaders.10486/...." and at the end of the tar xpf I get "tar: Error exit delayed from prevoius erros". I'm assuming this is not correct...any ideas why I'm seeing these errors?

This could indicate a buggy tar (or perhaps you're using a different version of tar than the one which created the archive). The archive itself may be corrupt. Was the initial tar archive created on a Solaris machine?

I created it on Solaris 8 workstation and scp the tar file over to the servers being upgraded which are running Solaris 9.

Depending on the patch level, the tar on Solaris 8 can be buggy. If you take a new copy, and the same problem occurs, you will need to use a different tar to build the archive. A recent version of GNU tar on the Solaris 8 workstation should be okay.

Is LMS 3.x supported on Sol 8? I recall only Sol 9 & 10 are.

No, it's not, but they are simply using the Solaris 8 machine as a DVD drive to copy the contents.

I only created the tar on a Solaris 8 workstation to move it over, I'm not installing on Solaris 8.

Evidently, I have multiple versions of tar on my server, I found one that untars the file cleanly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco